Sunday, August 10, 2008

Spanish Eggs and Doors







Welcome to our home........... Our front door looks new again !!!














the area stained by Gibron, who "work(ed) at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men"





Stain on the door inset, by the first guy that restained the door.......... splotchy and pooling :{


We've been needing to have our front door refinished for about 1 1/2 years now, it faces west and takes an afternoon beating from the sun. I had tried several times to call the guy who restained the door the first time several years ago. He did a wonderful job and was very reasonable; he also put the original stain on our custom built french doors in the living room, matching the stain PERFECTLY. His name is Heuve. Like I said, I had called the number we had for him and the person who answered spoke mostly spanish and said no, it was the wrong number.

So, we had basically given up on finding Heuve. One Sunday after church, our Bible class went out to eat together, during the course of lunch we got the name of someone who had done our friend's door. We called this guy and made plans for Tim to stay home from work and let the guy restain the door. This is the ONLY contractor who has ever shown up at the time he said he would, so we were encouraged about that. When I drove up that afternoon and then came to look at the door, I was literally sick. It looked terrible. Fortunately, he wasn't done and Tim had only paid him half of the stated amount. The door looked streaky and splotchy, like it had pooled in some areas and was much darker than we had wanted. The weather was bad for a few days and then the grandkids were coming and I didn't want them smelling the urethane fumes, so I was able to put him off until I could get the nerve to fire him. I called my SIL Scott for support in how to word the firing. The guy had already majorly insulted us by telling Tim and then me, that the door was the problem, that it was LAMINATE!!! Uuhh, NO, the door cost a large fortune and is solid wood. So, I successfully told him there was no need to come back. We were OK being out the $162.50 knowing that we would not have to live with the door the way we didn't want it, chalked it up to a mistake that we made.

So, I tried the number I had for Heuve again... I actually said the name (who-ve') this time and lo and behold, it WAS his number... I think I must have said his name (whey-vo) the first time I called and the family didn't recognize my very poor spanish!!!! So, he came out, with his Brother Gibron and said yes, the door was a mess. They could redo it for less than what we were going to pay the first guy. Gibron came out stripped the door, sanded the door, resanded the door, stained the door.... told us it was not to his satisfaction, so re-stripped the door, resanded the door (a little) and restained the door. It is perfect, just what we wanted. Oh, and by the way, he insisted on painting the fancy woodwork trim around the door (forget the name for that)! We really appreciated Gibron taking the time to be proud of his work and that his own expectations were so high. So, that is my saga of the door.

Gibron is going to come reapply the urethane whenever we need it for a marginal cost.... We would be most happy to recommend him for anyone needing a door done right :) He works full-time for a remodeling company and does his work on the side............. He truly works as unto the Lord, Colossians 3:23 and we couldn't be happier with him and his work.


1 comment:

Thailand Tracey said...

Pretty door! One more thing to check off your list :) I know that has to feel good.